Thursday, November 14, 2013

Funding and Technology

This week's discussion about Kozol's views on school fundraising was particularly challenging. I'd like to think I share his progressive views as I do believe children should have the right to a quality education regardless of their parents income level. I wish that public schools did receive equal funding however, the idea that fundraisers should be made "illegal" is challenging. There is no equal funding if schools can fundraise because wealthier schools will always raise more money. However, forbidding fundraisers for all schools may prevent low income schools from receiving extra funds for programs like music or sports. I do no think it is practical to forbid fundraising despite it's unfair nature. This issue is very complex and I feel I will continue to think about funding and fairness as I continue my studies and teaching career.

As for the technology presented to us, I feel very optimistic as a future teacher. Things like Khan Academy and apps like Doceri and Educreations make me feel confident that as a teacher I will have tools to individualize lessons and constantly monitor my student's progress. I hope that wherever I work my students will be able to access such useful technological tools to help them learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment