Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Project Based Learning and Final Reflections

I thought that the presentation on project based learning was very interesting. I am very interested in project based learning after listening to the guest speakers and feel I might fit as a teacher in such a school. I admit I am very progressive in my views and was not turned off by the autonomy and lack of structure of Edvisions. I was a bit hesitant to mention my views in class as it seemed most people were very skeptical. However, I feel that if research shows project-based learning works, I would say why not try it? I would obviously have to see the school in action before really buying into it, but this talk today had me intrigued.

This talk also made me think about my values and beliefs. I believe in serving the underserved and feel that I want to work in a public school where students need a better education. I am not saying I have so much power or knowledge to change lives or education, however I feel that from my background of privilege, I need to give back. I recognize that not all students are as fortunate as I have been and I feel this is unfair. You cannot choose what type of situation you are born into and I feel that students in low income areas and/or at risk youth deserve a quality education.

I am constantly challenged by my decision to become a teacher. Nearly everyday someone or something makes me think, should I be doing this? Is it worth it? But watching the video at the end of class today reminded me the power a teacher can have. Teaching is a thankless job at times but it is not for the money or the respect of society, it's for the students. I remember all of my favorite teachers and realize how much they have impacted me. I know that teachers are important and despite the many drawback, it is a worthwhile profession. I know that I want to be a teacher and whether it's at a traditional or non traditional school, I know I want to find a school where students are supported and teachers are supported. I know my life will not be Dead Poets Society and I may not impact students in ways I think. I may never know what I've done but I believe I can make a difference and will be able to persist in such a challenging career.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a response and tried to post it but it didn't go through. Dang! Here's my second try:

    I think what that video of memorial service that I showed on the last day, the Ed Visions thing, and Dead Poets Society all have a common theme: If you trust and support students they will come through. So much of what we do in traditional schooling is based on the notion of "accountability." It is this idea that we cannot trust students or teachers, and we need to hold them accountable. In other words, we need to force them to learn and punish them if they don't. Such a faithless model. I prefer the view that if you give students some freedom, let them know you expect great things, and support them as needed they will rise to the challenge. Will they always? No, but they don't all flourish under the accountability model. Will schools support you if you do something less traditional? Probably not. So know what you believe and value and try to stick with it. You'll be a great teacher, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete